Millions of people around the world suffer tooth loss due to negligent oral hygiene or injury. Luckily dental technology has an excellent treatment option available for them in the form of dental implants. Dental implants are prosthetic tooth roots that provide a foundation to the replacement tooth. It is a form of prosthetic dentistry where a titanium stud replaces the root of a tooth in the jaw bone.
Dental implant surgery is the best alternative when the natural teeth give way and have to be extracted. The majority of dental implants are made of titanium and provide solid support to prosthetic teeth. The jawbone around the implant takes a few months to heal and grow around the implant grooves, providing a success rate of over 95%.
Drawbacks of Missing Teeth
- When not replaced timely, missing teeth often result in a series of undesirable repercussions for your overall well-being. Some of them are:
- Missing teeth results in uncomfortable biting and chewing of food. It causes severe challenges while eating hard or tough foods like nuts, apples, and meats.
- Missing teeth cause an apparent setback in your smile and appearance, resulting in low confidence and stubby self-esteem.
- Due to the missing teeth, the jawbone starts shrinking, resulting in sunken cheeks and a hollowed appearance in the lower face. This can be a cause of premature facial aging.
- A missing tooth also impacts the adjacent teeth. The neighboring teeth start drifting towards the open space left by the missing tooth, resulting in teeth misalignment.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants are a boon for people who have lost their teeth owing to cavities, root canal infection, aging, or accidents. The major benefits of choosing dental implants surgery include:
- Dental implants provide the natural appearance and feel of natural teeth.
- Dental implants put an end to the pain and discomfort of removable dentures, resulting in improved speech and comfort.
- Dental implants are sturdy and durable, making them last for many years.
A dental implant process involves an individualized treatment plan depending on the patient's needs. A thorough screening process is carried out to determine your candidacy for dental implants. Once confirmed, a titanium root is implanted in the missing tooth's bone socket. The jawbone heals tightly around this implant, which may take a few months.
Once it is securely held by the jawbone, an abutment and a small connector post will be fastened to bear the new tooth. The replacement tooth (crown) will be bonded to the abutment, and a bite test will be taken to ensure suitable fit and comfort. Dental implants are highly preferred and used by the majority of patients owing to their long-term benefits.
Please reach out to our dental practice in Chesterfield, MO, to have a consultation with our dentist, Dr. Hawatmeh. Please call us at (314) 576-4462 or schedule an online consultation, and we’ll guide you further.